2019 Position Vacant – Newly created
**ANNOUNCEMENT** (Published July, 2019)
We are excited to announce that we have decided to give an early boost to the start date for 1 veterinary internship position!
Ideally to start October this year!
Per the below internship description, we are currently accepting applications for 2020. HOWEVER, we have decided to open up an early opportunity.
This means you will work simultaneously with our 2 current interns who are already halfway through their program. As they begin to merge into greater independent emergency responsibilities, this early position will allow you to slot in under the guidance of our referral and specialist veterinarians.
To have our current interns present for the first few months as part of your support team, is a significant advantage over the 2020 program.
When applying for the position, please make it clear that you are applying for this boosted 2019 position!
Please see below for more details regarding the position. Applications will be considered from veterinarians who may not have any emergency experience. But as this is a well supported program, we will also consider applications from brand new graduates who have a willingness to jump in and learn.
AREC is currently running our 2019 Emergency Internship. We are now accepting applications for 2020 (** and now for a boosted 2019 position). The internship will continue to run similarly to the current program, which is as follows;
The position will be rotating through ER, surgery and medicine.
Who are we looking for?
- Preferably a vet with a minimum of 6 months experience, but new graduates will be considered.
- A can-do attitude. You need to demonstrate that you understand it is ok to make mistakes and that our greatest learnings often come from these experiences
- Adaptability to change – we are a hospital still growing and forming and our needs change regularly. Having staff that can embrace change and the opportunities it brings is important to us.
- A desire to constantly learn and be accountable for your own learning.
What is in it for you?
- Working with a close-knit team who are all passionate about what they do and very good at their jobs
- A fantastic learning opportunity across the referral service at AREC and the chance to develop a professional relationship with our referral vets.
- A mentor and manager who is one of our Vet Team Leaders, working with you on the floor
- Training in consulting techniques, workplace wellness/mental health and communication training.
- The Animal Referral and Emergency Centre has been an established After Hours Emergency Centre for the past 12 years. In the last few years we have expanded to offer day time specialist and referral services. We have long term relationships with the general practices in the Newcastle and surrounding areas, so it’s important that our care and communication is of the highest level, to enable these relationships to continue into the future.
- We have a recently renovated hospital and last year achieved the ASAVA Hospital of Excellence award. We need someone that can adapt to a constantly changing environment, provide input and feedback and help us grow into the future.
- Our team is important to us, we come from a diverse range of backgrounds but at work our decisions and behaviour are governed by our core value of Respect, shown through Diligence, Professionalism, Excellence, Empathy and Integrity.
- A competitive intern salary of $57,639 for a 38 hour week (level 2 Award). Any overtime when on emergency shifts, paid in addition
- Applications for 2020 program will close by Tuesday 1st October 2019. Interviews will occur shortly after this and the successful candidates will be advised by the end of November at the latest.
- We have found people really feel like they know us better once they have watched our Video “Who We Are & What We Do” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAMYJjKiobU&t=46s