Our Fees

Facing a life and death decision, trying to understand medical terms and know if you can cover unplanned expenses is a lot. 

We explain all the fees & options so you can make the best decision for your pet and stay within budget

What fees are payable?

When we admit your pet to hospital, 50% of the treatment plan estimate is payable up front. Any additional treatment or diagnostic costs will be discussed with you. All invoiced fees must be paid at the initial consultation or on discharge

Fee payment options

We accept Cash, Eftpos, Mastercard, Visa and Amex.
We understand that in an emergency, you may not have funds available at short notice. For your peace of mind, we accept VetPay (Veterinary Treatment Finance). Pre-Approvals are available or we can complete an application for you at any time of the day or night.

Will Pet Insurance cover my fees?

If your pet is covered by pet insurance we work with you and your insurance company to complete all the necessary paper work for your claim. Please note that most insurance companies require you to pay the bill in total first, and they will reimburse you later.

What fees are payable in an emergency?

Emergency consult fee $320.10
If your pet is admitted, we provide a detailed medical plan & written fee estimate.
Decide on the best option for your pet.
We keep you up to date with additional treatment & diagnostic costs.
Any hospital costs are payable on discharge.
The fees listed are an estimate and act as a guide only.

Why are emergency vet fees so expensive?

Sick human patients have Medicare, which pays most of the cost of our medical treatment. As there is no government support for your pet’s health care, it’s up to pet owners to cover the full cost.
Your vet is not only your pet’s GP, but also their surgeon, radiologist, dermatologist, neurologist, oncologist and pharmacist.

Why are emergency vet fees more expensive than my usual vet?

Any service that operates 24 hours a day seven days a week has significant staffing costs. Having the right people with the right knowledge and experience available at any time of the day or the night is vital to your pet’s care. At AREC, approximately 70% of our revenue supports the wages of our terrific staff. Of the remaining 30%, half covers drugs and consumables. The rest is made up of the overheads of maintaining a purpose-built vet hospital, including water, electricity, equipment maintenance.

Before after-hours vet care was available, day practice vets had to cover their own out-of-hours work, which often meant leaving sick (often critically unwell) animals alone in a cage overnight. With after-hours care available, you can rest assured your pet gets the best possible care, no matter when they need it.