AREC is currently running our 2020 Emergency Internship. We have 3 wonderful interns who are rotating through Surgery and ECC. We are currently interviewing for our 2021 candidates and are excited with the quality of candidate responses!
HOWEVER, we have just opened an ‘early start’ internship position to begin in November this year.
This person will have the opportunity to jump into an Emergency Hospital as we head into our busy yet exciting summer season!
You will be working alongside a fantastic and collaborative team of veterinarians including;
- Dr Julian Lunn (Referral Surgeon)
- Dr Caroline Romeo (Vet Director)
- Dr Tara Morris (Emergency Vet and Team Leader)
- Dr Liz Napier (Emergency Vet and Team Leader)
- Plus a number of other fantastic, experienced and friendly vets
Who are we looking for?
- Preferably a vet with a minimum of 6 months experience, but new graduates will be considered.
- A can-do attitude. You need to demonstrate that you understand it is ok to make mistakes and that our greatest learnings often come from these experiences
- Adaptability to change – we are a hospital still growing and forming and our needs change regularly. Having staff that can embrace change and the opportunities it brings is important to us.
- A desire to constantly learn and be accountable for your own learning.
What is in it for you?
- Working with a close-knit team who are all passionate about what they do and very good at their jobs
- A fantastic learning opportunity across the referral service at AREC and the chance to develop a professional relationship with our referral vets.
- A mentor and manager who is one of our Vet Team Leaders, working with you on the floor
- Enrolment in Improve International Accelerated Emergency Programme: a 15 week programme with weekly modules on relevant ECC topics. This includes notes and tutorials on pathophysiology, diagnosis and treatment.
- Training in consulting techniques, workplace wellness/mental health and communication training.
- The Animal Referral and Emergency Centre has been an established After Hours Emergency Centre since 2004. In the last few years we have expanded to offer day time specialist and referral services. We have long term relationships with the general practices in the Newcastle and surrounding areas, so it’s important that our care and communication is of the highest level, to enable these relationships to continue into the future.
- In a hospital newly renovated in 2015 and holds the ASAVA Hospital of Excellence award. We need someone that can adapt to a constantly changing environment, provide input and feedback and help us grow into the future.
- Our team is important to us, we come from a diverse range of backgrounds but at work our decisions and behaviour are governed by our core value of Respect, shown through Diligence, Professionalism, Excellence, Empathy and Integrity.We run an extensive range of learning opportunities including:
- CPR RECOVER Certified Training – every 2 months
- Practical wet labs
- Ultrasound training
- ECC Book Club
- Rounds: shared case discussions
- Ventilator training
- Consult skills training
- Self- care and mindfulness training
- M&M Rounds
- Journal Club
- A competitive intern salary of $60, 400 for a 38 hour week (level 2 Award).
- Applications for 2021 program will close October 2020
We have found people really feel like they know us better once they have watched our Video
“Who We Are & What We Do” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAMYJjKiobU&t=46s
Newcastle as a home:
· A large modern city with less hustle and bustle you would expect for its size, situated 2 hours north of Sydney, less than an hour drive to the famous Hunter wine region, surrounded by national parks and forests, bordered by beaches, bays, the Hunter River and Lake Macquarie.
· It boasts one of Australia’s leading universities, busiest ports and home of the Newcastle Knights (Rugby League) and Newcastle Jets (Football). Like any large modern city, contains all the amenities of one with a variety of schools, shopping centres, health services, and sport organisations.
· We don’t have Sydney’s traffic, Melbourne’s cold, Adelaide’s heat nor Brisbane’s thunderstorms!
· Maybe you also have a partner/family who needs a better understanding of the vast range of opportunities available across all industries?
Here is a video produced by a local business on our region – click the below link to watch;
For further information about Newcastle please see:
· Newcastle City Council Tourism: https://www.visitnewcastle.com.au/
· Newcastle City Council: http://www.newcastle.nsw.gov.au/home
To further discuss, please speak to Nicole Ottery on +61 2 4957 7106, or Dr David Tabrett firstname.lastname@example.org
or simply click the button below to begin your application.