AREC overnight monitoring trial
In response to feedback from many of our fantastic daytime veterinary practices, AREC is now trialing an Overnight Monitoring ‘Peace of Mind’ arrangement. This arrangement is for those patients who are stable, and either post surgical, or with already diagnosed conditions, yet still require overnight hospitalisation. Clients would prefer that their precious pet is in hospital with staff on site around the clock. Our nurses will be present to monitor, and if there is any change in the patients condition throughout the night, the nurse will escalate to the veterinarian on duty.
Cost: $300 (nurse consult, vet check, ongoing fluids, overnight monitoring). Any medications or basic lab tests eg: PCV checks will be additional
How it will work:
- The referring vet will need to fill out the AREC overnight monitoring form here on our website. See form below.
- The client will be responsible for transporting their pet to and from the referring clinic and AREC
- On arrival all communication will be managed by an AREC nurse, who will admit the pet, get forms signed and take a relevant deposit.
- Once admitted to hospital the emergency vet will check the pet over but the case will otherwise be managed by the AREC nurse according to instructions by the referring vet.
- Only oral medications can be transported with the owner. Any injectables or S8s required will be dispensed by AREC.
- The nurses will be responsible for the clinical notes on the patient, although the vet will record their physical examination findings where appropriate.
- The AREC nurse will discharge the pet to the client in the morning for transfer back to the referring vet.
- Any patient who does not fulfil the requirements of the overnight monitoring scheme will need a consult with the vet and will incur the usual fees.
- Initially we are only offering this service to a few of our local clinics while we assess how it works. If successful then we will be making it available for all referring vet clinics in the future.
* Please note, this is a trial initiative with a select group of clinics only. We hope to be able to offer this service to the greater region in the near future.
Clinics participating in this initial trial phase;
- East Maitland Vet Clinic
- Greenhills Vet Hospital
- Greencross Maitland
- The Lakes Veterinary Hospitals (Belmont/Charlestown)
- New Lambton Vet
- Noahs Ark (Medowie/Nelson Bay)
- RSPCA (Tighes Hill/Rutherford)
- Warners Bay Vets