Emergency & Critical Care Veterinarians
Emergency Veterinary Positions Available
Approved sponsorship available and relocation allowance
Hear from vets who have both settled in our region and worked whilst travelling;
Are you the one?
- A veterinarian with at least 12 months experience (Emergency experience is desirable, but not essential). Training in core skills and mentoring from our Senior vets will be provided.
- Able to work shared overnights, weekends & public holidays – because that’s when the most fun happens.
- Thorough with medical records
- Keeps a cool head during emergencies, yet thrives on adrenaline and has a “can-do” attitude
- Takes delight in providing peace of mind to clients
- Adaptable to change
- Believes learning never stops
The Animal Referral and Emergency Centre has been an established After Hours Emergency Centre for the past 15 years. More recently we have expanded to offer day time specialist and referral services (Surgery, Critical Care, Dermatology, Rehab & Physio). We have long term relationships with the general practices in the Newcastle and surrounding areas so it’s important that our medicine, care and communication is of the highest level to enable these relationships to continue into the future.
We have a recently renovated hospital and have achieved the ASAV Hospital of Excellence award. We need someone that can adapt to a constantly changing environment, provide input and feedback and help us grow into the future.
We come from a diverse range of backgrounds and our decisions and behaviour are governed by our core value of Respect, shown through Diligence, Professionalism, Excellence, Empathy and Integrity.
What do we do well?
- The ability to find out what the client needs, even when they are distressed
- The communication skills to clearly present a treatment plan.
- The ability to care for patients and pet owners
- Triage a busy hospital to provide appropriate care to inpatients
- Ensure appropriate diagnostics are requested and results interpreted and recorded
- Communicate patient progress to staff, clients and referral hospitals
What’s in it for you?
- Remuneration range $103,000+ FTE, plus opportunity to earn more
- Approved Sponsorship available and Relocation Allowance
- Ongoing training (AREC Seminars, CPR training, Journal Club, Wet Labs & more)
- Comprehensive mentorship through our AREC Vet Progression Pathway
- 5 weeks leave FTE
- Study leave plus a 3% CPD allowance
- VPB registration
- VIN membership
- CVE membership
- VetEducation membership
- VECCS membership
- AVA membership
To further discuss, please speak to our Vet Director Caroline Romeo on +61 2 4957 7106, or simply click the button below to begin your application.
AREC is currently running our 2021 Emergency Internship. We have three wonderful interns who are rotating through Surgery and ECC. We are now accepting applications for 2022!
Applications are now open for:
Three 2022 internship positions starting early 2022.
Who are we looking for?
- Both recent graduates and ambitious new graduates are encouraged to apply
- Be willing to embrace challenges and a high paced learning environment
- Excellent communication skills and a team player attitude
- A desire to constantly learn and be accountable for your learning
What is in it for you?
- Working with a close-knit team who are all passionate about patient and client care
- A fantastic learning environment across the referral service at AREC and the chance to develop a professional relationship with our referral vets.
- A mentor and manager who is one of our Vet Team Leaders, working with you on the floor in Emergency and Critical Care
- Training in consulting techniques, workplace wellness, mental health and communication training.
- Enrolment in the Improve International Accelerated Emergency Program providing you with access to Emergency and Critical Care Specialists along with a post-graduate certification with the ISVPS Foundation Certificate in Emergency and Critical Care (course fees covered by AREC) https://improveinternational.com.au/course/global-accelerated-emergency-program/
- Our team is important to us. We come from a diverse range of backgrounds. At work, our decisions and behaviour are governed by our core values of Respect, shown through Diligence, Professionalism, Excellence, Empathy, and Integrity.
- We run an extensive range of learning opportunities, including:
- CPR RECOVER Certified Training – every two months
- Practical wet labs
- Ultrasound training
- Emergency and Critical Care tutorials weekly
- Rounds: shared case discussions
- Ventilator training
- A competitive intern salary of $62,204 for a 38 hour week.
We have found people really feel like they know us better once they have watched our Video.
“Who We Are & What We Do”
Vet Student University Placement
We welcome final year university students studying vet science and looking to explore an interest in emergency, critical care, medicine and surgery.
Our referral vets, ER vets and nurses are keen to help vet students grow in their final year before graduating. In addition to assisting in varied complicated medical and surgical cases, vet students are invited to join in any of our in-house training/mentoring sessions that are operating during their rotation with us such as:
- Weekly ECC Book Club
- Practicing procedures in Wet Labs
- CPR training
- Mortality and Morbidity Rounds, Grand Rounds
- Ultrasound training
- Training in Approach to the Emergency Patient
During your time off, we recommend exploring Newcastle’s beautiful beaches and bush walks, Lake Macquarie, the Hunter Valley vineyards, and lots of great cafes and restaurants. We also have a large and collaborative vet community with over 50 clinics and a wide range of experience and expertise to meet!
We are currently accepting vet student applications for final year students in 2021. We also have some places available for this year
To apply for a placement please enter your details via the below form.